The Chronicles of Jack, Julia, and Adeline Fehskens

Come along with us as we follow Jack, Julia, and Adeline to infinity and beyond.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Well I'm a-gonna raise a fuss an' I'm a-gonna raise a holler...

Hello, friends. As Chelsea's last entry so pertinently pointed out, this has indeed become more of a media sharing site re: Jack than any kind of blog. I think it's time that changed as well, so let me tell you a few of the things we've been experiencing and THEN you can watch the video that's linked at the bottom of this log.
Jack has been evincing many of the signs of teething without too much to show for it. He got his two bottom teeth within about two weeks of each other, and nothing since then. HOWEVER, he has been drooling pools, fussing and crying (hence the 50s song title) and waking up three times a night without any other obvious reason. I'm hoping that means he's going to sprout some Bugs Bunny-esque incisors before terribly long, but maybe he's just trying to keep us on our toes.
He has also decisively identified us with our appellations; namely (ha!) he knows that if he wants our attention, to call "Mom" or "Dad" as loud as he can. We, of course, always respond; I mean, it could be URGENT! There are two funny examples here.
One: He had finished his dinner and was sitting in the high chair while Chelsea and I got lost in a discussion while doing some housework. He bubbled along by himself for a few minutes until he realized that we weren't paying attention to him, so he looked across the room and screamed, "DAD!" Chelsea and I both stopped dead, realizing this was a conscious act by him and not just babbling. Crazy.
Secondly--and more sweetly--Jack wakes up in the morning desperate for a bottle; he doesn't even know you're there until after he's had one. So I picked him up one morning at around 5:30 and gave it to him; he inhaled the entire thing in less than 2 minutes. I put him on the floor to monkey around while I tried to close my eyes for a second. When placed on the floor, he turned around, pulled himself to a standing position with the couch, and put his hand on my leg until I looked at him. He looked in my eyes, smiled, and said, "Dad." That's the best good-morning I've gotten for a while.
The video below contains quite a few cute pictures that include all the lovely folks at Memommy's party. Hope you enjoy it. Note on the song: it doesn't have anything to do with family or Christmas, but sounds lovely and I'm rereading Moby-Dick right now so a sea-shanty seemed appropriate.

Click HERE to watch the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment