The Chronicles of Jack, Julia, and Adeline Fehskens

Come along with us as we follow Jack, Julia, and Adeline to infinity and beyond.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Chain reactions and butterfly effects

I was laughing inwardly as I came up with the title for this post because although it represents my recent thoughts well, the title is also comprised of the names of two really awful movies. One starring His Dudeness Keanu Reeves and Morgan Freeman, the Voice of God; the other, a grand attempt by Ashton Kutcher to become a real actor in a move that would prove resoundingly unsuccessful.

All that aside, I've been thinking a lot about how one thing leads to another and sometimes the most trivial of matters takes on cosmological significance upon reflection. I love Chelsea so much and feel incredibly privileged to have partnered with her over the last twelvish years. The other night I was thinking about population statistics and remembered that, at last check, the U.S. hovers in at about 330 million people. And I met her. And she liked me. And that's still going on today. And HOW? It hurts my brain to think about it. Chelsea is so closely tied to my soul, someone I'm so blessed to know. And yet the odds against us ever having met at all are so monumentally stacked against; it seems impossible to have happened. And yet here we are.

And what has come about due to that meeting? The creation and gifting to us of three children, people I just kind of watch in fascination as they grow and become more and more themselves. I won't bore you with all the specifics of Little League and Boy Scouts, new music mixes and daddy date nights, but I feel less like a Figure of Authority ™ and more like somebody who got to sneak in the backstage of a concert by my favorite band; I just feel lucky to be here.

I've made a video of some of the things we've been up to since last post, which was quite a while ago. I hope it blesses you. I find it hard to watch; my heart can only hold so much.

Click here to view it on YouTube.


Click here to view it on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. John, this entire thing utterly enchanted me and brought me to happy tears. Thanks to God above for the blessing of a happy life!! Amen and Amen.

    ReplyDelete